Make a Plan

Licensed to Teach in Another Content Area in Minnesota

If you hold a valid, five-year Minnesota teaching license in an area other than special education (e.g., social studies, language arts, elementary education), you will need to meet the following requirements to be a fully licensed special education teacher.

Use the form below to track your progress and keep moving forward!

Action Steps:

Complete a Board of Teaching-approved teacher licensure program (probably at the graduate level). View State-Approved Special Education Teacher Licensure Programs.

Date Completed

Take and pass the Minnesota Teacher License Examinations (MTLE) Special Education Content Tests (you don’t need to take the Pedagogy Tests again).

Date Completed

Complete an Application to Add a Field to an Existing Minnesota License. Return to MDE Licensing with the $62.70 fee.

Date Completed