Barbara L. Neilson
P.O. Box 64620
St. Paul, MN 55164-0620
600 North Robert Street
St. Paul, MN 55101
1. Hearing officer handling special education cases since 1990
2. Initially admitted to practice in Minnesota in 1978; subsequently admitted to practice in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Illinois; currently licensed as an attorney in Minnesota.
• J.D. University of Minnesota, 1978
• B.A. St. Cloud State University, 1975
• Midwest Regional Special Education Law Conference, March 2009, March 2010, and March 2011
• OAH Symposium on ADHD and the IDEA, September 2008
• Fourth National Academy for IDEA Administrative Law Judges and Hearing Officers, June 2005
• LRP Workshop, Making Sense of the New IDEA Regulations, May 1999
• LRP Regional Institute on Special Education Law, October 1996
• Hearing Officer training sessions sponsored by the Minnesota Department of Education in September and December 1993; March, September, and December 1995; April and September 1996; February and November 1997; May and September 1998; March 1999; December 2000; April and November 2001; and February, May and September 2002
5. No publications relating to special education.
I am employed by a Minnesota State Agency. I have been an Administrative Law Judge with the Office of Administrative Hearings since 1989 and have a broad understanding of administrative law.
Prior to becoming an ALJ, I was engaged in the private practice of law for 11 years, specializing in litigation and counseling in the area of labor and employment law.
I am not employed by a Local Education Agency or a disability advocacy group, nor do I serve on the board of a Local Education Agency or disability advocacy group. I am not an employee of the Minnesota Department of Education.
For additional information on Judge Neilson, please see: http://mn.gov/oah/administrative-law/judges/neilson.jsp .