While there are no requirements for a filing system, a well-organized system results in easy access and retrieval of Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) information and data, saving time and money. The following is a suggested list of the minimum files (and their contents) needed for organizing and maintaining CACFP records. Sponsors may choose to save files as electronic documents rather than paper files.
1. Contracts File
· CACFP Application and Yearly Updates.
· CACFP Program Agreement.
· CACFP Policy Statement for Free and Reduced-Price Meals.
· Vended Meal Contracts.
· Initial Public Release.
2. Correspondence File
· Memos from state CACFP office.
· Previous review letters and responses.
3. Civil Rights Data File—CONFIDENTIAL—LIMIT ACCESS
· Yearly Civil Rights Data--compilation of racial/ethnic make-up of actual participants.
4. Income Statements/Enrollment Report File—CONFIDENTIAL—LIMIT ACCESS
· Household Income Statements (also collects racial/ethnic data).
· Child Enrollment Forms (collected yearly for each child).
· Enrollment List(s).
5. Monthly Claims File
· Copy of monthly claims with back-up documentation.
· Attendance Sheets, Meal Counts, Menus and Infant Food Production or Infant Menu Records.
· Special Diet Statements and Decline Statements.
6. Financial Records File
· Any income to food service—catering income, grant money for food service equipment.
· Food service expenditures—grocery store/vendor bills and receipts, purchase orders, etc. Bills of purchased vended meals. Payment receipts.
· Documentation of informal or formal procurement—(log or bids).
7. Monitoring and Staff Training File
· Staff training documentation—date, topics, attendees, location.
· Monitoring visits.
· Corrective action and follow-up documentation.
8. Food Service File
· Menus demonstrating what is actually served.
· Documentation demonstrating adequate quantities of food are being produced and served.
Files 1, 2, and 3 will be permanent files, covering several years or more. Files 4-8 can be newly created for each CACFP fiscal year (October-September). At the end of each fiscal year, these files can be banded together for storage.
Remember, keep all CACFP records for three years plus the current program year.