Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) regulations in 7 CFR § 226.18(e) require participating family day care homes to maintain on file child enrollment documentation from parents or legal guardians. This clarifies the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE)-Food and Nutrition Service standards used for child enrollment documentation and replaces the March 26, 2008 MDE memorandum Review Standards for Child Enrollment Documentation.
Enrollment documentation must be:
• Signed and dated by a parent or legal guardian and include information on each child’s normal days and hours of care (including school times) and the meals normally received while in care.
• Maintained on file by sponsor and provider for all children who received meals that are being claimed for CACFP reimbursement.
• Updated annually, and signed and dated, by a parent or legal guardian.
Initial Enrollment Documentation
Initial child enrollment documentation is effective for 12 months, similar to the CACFP policy on assigning effective dates to household income statements.
• Initial enrollment documentation is effective the beginning date of care as completed by the parent on the Child Enrollment Form, as long as the sponsor has the Child Enrollment Form on file prior to submission of the provider’s original claim to MDE. A claim may not be adjusted to add children whose enrollment documentation is received after the provider’s original claim has been submitted. Example: The beginning date of care for a new child is October 25, 2013. Reimbursement may be claimed starting October 25 if the enrollment documentation is on file in the sponsor’s office at the time of submission of the provider’s original October claim to MDE.
• The expiration date for enrollment documentation is the last day of the month in which the form was signed and dated one year earlier, regardless of sponsor receipt date. For example, enrollment documentation signed and dated by the parent/guardian anytime in October 2013 is effective through October 31, 2014.
Annual Updates of Enrollment Documentation
A parent or legal guardian must annually update their enrollment information for children in care.
• The effective date for updated enrollment information is the first day of the month the updated form was signed and dated by the parent.
• Sponsors must annually collect updated enrollment information so that there is no gap between the expiration of the older enrollment information and the effective date of updated enrollment information.
• Enrollment information may be updated prior to expiration to accommodate the annual enrollment collection schedules of the sponsor.
Reimbursement may not be claimed for any meals served during a period of time that is not covered by enrollment documentation. Updated enrollment documentation must be on file in the sponsor’s office at the time of the provider’s original claim to MDE. A claim may not be adjusted to add children whose enrollment documentation is received after the claim has been submitted to MDE.
Example: A child’s enrollment documentation expires on September 30, 2013. There is a reimbursement gap if the updated enrollment documentation, on file in the sponsor’s office at the time of submission of the original October 2013 claim to MDE, is signed and dated by the parent/guardian later than October 31, 2013.
If you have any questions about this information, contact MDE-Food and Nutrition Service at 651-582-8526, 1-800-366-8922 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective July 2013