Summer Food Service Program
Application Instructions for New Applicants
Interest Survey: Complete the Interest Survey notifying the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE)-Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) of your interest in being a sponsor and to make sure that you receive additional information on the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP). Access the SFSP Interest Survey on SurveyMonkey.
Submit Applications by May 1
NOTE: Submission of applications after May 1 may not allow for sufficient time to approve applications prior to the start of your summer food program.
Applications must be submitted by June 15 or a minimum of 15 days prior to the start date of SFSP operations.
Important Information for ALL SFSP Applicants
• New sponsors must attend training prior to participation. Visit the MDE calendar for workshop dates and registration information. Sort by Sponsor, “Food and Nutrition,” then look for SFSP in the event title.
• FNS will contact sponsors if there are questions or if additional information is needed.
• Applications will be approved when organizations have:
o Submitted the required documentation.
o Attended training.
o Received a pre-approval site visit by the state agency.
• Claims for reimbursement cannot be submitted until the application has been approved. Meals served prior to the approval date cannot be submitted for reimbursement.
• An e-mail notification will be sent to the application contact person when the application has been approved.
School Food Authorities
School Food Authorities (SFAs) currently participating in the School Nutrition Program (SNP) and planning on using existing SNP sites may complete the SFSP applications online in the Cyber-Linked Interactive Child Nutrition System (CLiCS). SFA applicants also do not need to submit an SFSP Program Agreement, or obtain the DUNS and Vendor numbers.
All New Applicants complete the application process by submitting the following:
• Application Checklist is designed to help ensure that all required forms and documentation are submitted for the SFSP application. Access the Application Checklist.
• CLiCS Site ID Request is used to identify the physical location where meals are served. Complete one form for each site where meals will be served. Access the CLiCS Site ID Request Form.
• SFSP Application provides information about the organization (sponsor) including the SFSP budget and information on each site location(s) where the meals are served. Access the SFSP Application. Current SFAs can complete this online.
• CLiCS User ID/Password Request Form is required to add or delete access to CLiCS. Use this form to request organization staff to have access to submit claims and manage the online application. Access the CLiCS User ID Request Form.
• Listserv Subscribe/Unsubscribe Form is required to add or delete organization staff to receive listserv e-mails from FNS communicating specific program information. Submit the name and e-mail for individuals who should receive information related to SFSP. Access the Listserv Subscribe/Unsubscribe Form.
• SFSP Program Agreement outlines the responsibilities between the organization and MDE to participate in SFSP. Complete all requested information and obtain an original signature of an authorized representative from the organization. Access the Summer Food Service Program Agreement. For 1.A. Racial and ethnic makeup of the geographic service area, find the state, county or city census data on the U.S. Census website. Access the U. S. Census website. (This document is not required for current SFAs.)
• Dun & Bradstreet (DUNS) Number is a unique nine-character number that identifies an organization and is used to track how federal child nutrition program funding is allocated. To verify if the organization has a DUNS number, or to register for a DUNS number, visit the Dun & Bradstreet website. (This item is not required for current SFAs.)
• Vendor Number is a specific number issued through the Minnesota Office of Management and Budget that will be used for all transactions and contracts. To register with the state for the first time and to access additional vendor information, visit the Minnesota Management and Budget website. (This item is not required for current SFAs.)
Additional Requirements and Forms (submit as applicable):
• Private Non-Profit Applicants Only: Submit a copy of the organization’s IRS 501(c)(3) designation.
• Contract for Vended Meals and Procurement: MDE has developed a template contract that includes the required elements. This template must be used by organizations that purchase meals from a vendor unless MDE has approved the organization to use its own form of contract. There are also specific regulations to follow in procuring a contract. If vended, submit a signed and completed copy of the Contract for Vended Meals and a copy of the applicable procurement form(s). Access the contracts for vended meals and procurement information.
• Migrant Sites: Submit documentation from the migrant coordinator that demonstrates the site will serve predominantly migrant children. Contact MDE with any questions.
• The Appeal Procedure for SFSP is available for reference on the MDE website and is provided to an SFSP sponsor when an appealable action is taken. View the Appeal Procedure for specific requirements and timelines that must be met when a sponsor wishes to appeal an MDE-FNS action.
Mail a complete application packet with original signatures to:
Food and Nutrition Service
Minnesota Department of Education
1500 Highway 36 West
Roseville, MN 55113
For questions about the application process, contact the FNS Applications Team at 800-366-8922 or 651-582-8526 or email@example.com.