Public Release

Provision 2 or Provision 3 Sites

School Nutrition Programs

INSTRUCTIONS: A school food authority that is required to issue a public release,* and that has any sites that provide school meals at no charge to all students using Provision 2 or Provision 3 procedures, must issue this simplified public release for Provision 2 and Provision 3 sites at or before the beginning of each school year. The public release announces to the community that all students will receive school meals at no charge at these sites.

*A public release is required unless the school food authority is (1) a boarding school, (2) a residential child care institution or (3) a school that includes food service fees in tuition and all students are provided the same meals.

Reproduce the following text on your letterhead. Date, sign and send to the local media at the beginning of each school year requesting that the release be published at no charge as a public service to the community. It is up to the local media to decide whether to publish the release as a public service at no charge. A school food authority is not required to get the release published nor are local media required to publish it.

Retain a copy of the release for your files. The media release must be dated and state the name of the media outlet to which it was sent.

For Immediate Release

[Name of school food authority] today announced an amendment to its policy for serving meals to students under the [National School Lunch / School Breakfast Programs] for the [yyyy-yyyy] school year. All students will be served [breakfast / lunch] at no charge at the following site(s): [site names]

For additional information please contact: [name of school district], Attention: [name, title], [department/division], [address], [city, state zip code], [telephone number], [e-mail address].

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal and, where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities and wish to file either an EEO or program complaint please contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish).

Persons with disabilities who wish to file a program complaint, please see information above on how to contact us by mail directly or by email. If you require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) please contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.