Guiding Principles of the Online Learning Provider Three-Year Review Process
Objective is a Three-Year Review Process of Approved Online Providers that is repetitive, supports the required annual updates, program data collection, and renewal of assurances to the department required by statute language. The review process is:
• Aligned to Standards.
• Continuous Improvement Focused.
• Conducted with Integrity.
• Quality Oriented.
Goals of the department’s Reflective Self Study: Three-Year Review Process for Approved Online Learning Providers:
• Advance the use of national research-based standards to promote excellence in public online learning programs and courses.
• Provide an objective and standardized means for reviewing the quality of an online learning program and its related services.
• Provide a means of ongoing self-assessment and a continuous improvement process for department approved online programs.
• Provide a process in which providers are renewed for approval of their online learning programs to ensure that all meet or exceed accepted standards.
• Assure the quality of state-approved online learning programs and online courses to the public, online learning peers, and Minnesota stakeholders.
Outcomes through a Reflective Self Study, MDE expects the following outcomes from Approved Online Learning Providers:
• Analysis of data, documents, and other artifacts in the provider online portfolio using agreed upon International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL) National Standards for Quality Online Programs.
• Evaluate and explain in the provider online portfolio how the organization does or does not meet each of the standards for online programs.
• Use the department’s review of the online portfolio and the provider evaluation of its online portfolio to determine whether the approved provider meets or exceeds quality standards for online programs. An action plan unique to the provider is developed to guide any needed improvements.
For more information, contact:
Deborah W. Proctor, Online Learning Specialist: firstname.lastname@example.org 651-582-8328.