Achievement and Integration: Recommendations for Conforming Changes
Charge: The education commissioner shall review Minnesota Rules, parts 3535.0100 to 3535.0180, for consistency with Minnesota Statutes, sections 124D.861 and 124D.862, and
make recommendations to the education committees of the Legislature by February 15, 2014, for revising the rules or amending applicable statutes
Issue # 1: Purpose of the Rule/Statute
· What is purpose of the rule? Is it needed to carry out statute?
ü Assure plans are consistent with statute
ü Funds are being using appropriately
· Do we need to include “Intentional segregation”?
· What is state’s compelling interest?
· Preventing racial isolation?
Issue # 2: Protected Students-Classifications
· For what purpose do we need classifications?
· How should subgroups be identified?
Statute NCLB Subgroups vs. Rule “Protected Class Students”
ü American Indian/Alaskan Native American Indian/Alaskan Native
ü Asian/Pacific Islander Asian/Pacific Americans
ü Black, not of Hispanic origin African/Black Americans
ü Hispanic Chicano/Latino Americans
ü Free or Reduced-Price Lunch
Excluded in statute are gender, ELL and Special Education subgroups. Technically there is also a “White, not of Hispanic origin” subgroup and each subgroup is further reported by gender but there is no gender subgroup
Issue # 3: Plans Required by Statute
· Who must develop and submit a plan?
ü How is this to be determined?
ü Currently racially isolated district or racially isolated school within a district.
ü Other ways to define?
· What is role and necessity of a collaborative?
· Inclusion of all educational entities that serve children part of plans?
ü ALC, Contact Alternatives, etc.
ü Other special schools including on-line, etc.
· Inclusion of charter Schools?
· How is plan developed within World’s Best Workforce?
Issue # 4: Terminology
· What terms need to be defined?
ü “integrated learning environment”
ü Integration vs desegregation
ü “achievement gap” vs “proficiency”
ü Other terms
· How to set and measure goals in two required areas?
ü How to measure outcomes
ü Connection between achievement gap and integration
Issue # 5: Other Issues for clarification
· Do we need rule revision or can/should revision be in statute?
· What clarification needed for implementation
· How do we make transition is suggested recommendations adopted
· How long “eligible district” required to develop and implement plan.
Issue # 6: Incentive Funding
· Do we need to develop rules or clarify law around implementation of incentive funding provision?