School Facilities Work Group Meeting – 9/18/13
1. Equity Core Issue
2. Deferred Maintenance: Not equalized
A. Protect investment
B. Good repair
C. Major community investment
3. Schools vs. Other public facilities
A. Buildings for adults are more recent and kept-up than buildings for children.
4. Bonding vs. Deferred maintenance. Why?
5. Base Standards
A. Enough space
B. Safety standards met
C. Conducive learning environment
6. Is there an annual per-pupil cost?
7. Is there a pent-up demand?
8. 2000 Report from Senator Wiger
9. Alternative Facilities: 45% of MN students in these schools
A. Difference between size of communities
• New construction
• Capital improvement (roof replacement, add asset)
Non-Voter Approved (Board-Approved)
• Deferred maintenance
• Regulatory safety alt facility language
• Like for like
• Voters have denied x number of times
• Health and safety redesign
• Natural disasters