· An Example is: Enterprise Content Management (ECM) from Perceptive Software).
· Use technology for video conferencing, electronic parent and educator signatures, automatic data input, and MDE required reporting functions that are automatically accessible eliminating the need for teachers to send to the department.
· Anchorage Alaska School District has gone virtually paperless in special education and other departments.by using technologies. They have indicated it has greatly reduced workload thus creating a better working environment for their staff.
3. 10 Blue Recommend: Every school has access to a testing coordinator who completes three year reassessments and initials and writes the evaluation reports and sets IEP meetings with parents.
4. 8 Blue MDE should continue to find ways to streamline paperwork required in special education and identify effective practices from districts to encourage additional efficiencies
5. 7 Blue Recommend: Use administration support like due process secretaries to schedule meetings, type forms, etc.
6. 7 Blue Recommend: That caseload distribution to be a team decision with both administrators and teachers, in order to provide the best fit for students and workload for teachers.
7. 6 Blue Recommend: Each special education teacher has 1 period to prep for classes and 1 period to work on due process. (See about estimated total hours spent on paperwork per school year for each special education teacher)
9. 3 Blue Recommend: Requiring higher education institutions explore a special education “licensure” option instead of requiring a complete master’s program.
10. 3 Blue Recommend: Train paraprofessionals in behavior management (the fine line between enabling and enriching student learning).
11. 3 Blue Recommend: Giving teachers more control on scheduling the students on their caseloads like in the past.
15. 2 Blue Recommend: Require all regular education teachers complete at least one broad category special education course before receiving their license.
All other recommendations are eliminated because they either had more red votes than blue votes or had no votes at all. #20 above was somehow not included on the lists that were considered January 14.