Standard Adult High School Diploma Task Force
Reporting Back - August 23, 2013
Needs for Future Meetings
· Topics and Potential People/Presenters
· K-12 graduation standards (Beth Aune/Jennifer Dugan)
· Other states’ adult diploma efforts, like Vermont, Wisconsin and Washington
· State and national workforce training efforts and needs.
· Employers’ perspectives (The Career Pathway Task Force will have an employer panel at their meeting on September 16 at the Minnesota Department of Education.)
· Equipped for the Future (EFF)
· National External Diploma Program (hosted by CASAS)
· Online/blended models?
· How to standardize process (equitable) granting the adult high school diploma at both state and local levels
· Granting credit for prior learning
Ideas for our work as a Task Force
· Webinars (between meetings)
· Work group assignments between meetings to delve deeper into some topics
· Send report/materials prior to task force meeting
· How will this look?
· How will this be implemented?
· How do documents travel with the student across programs?
· How do we validate and approve competencies with programs in ABE? State and local levels need to be considered.
· What about students age 17-20 who will not be able to complete a diploma in K-12? Do they have to wait until age 21 to participate?
· How do we ensure “equitable” process, especially with postsecondary and employers, as we compare credits, competencies and applied learning?
· Long-term plan?
· How detailed do the rules need to be statewide?
· Online options? Hybrid programming?
· Multiple program model options?
Exploring Competencies, Skills and Knowledge
Minnesota Adult Secondary Credential Report (look at section starting with page 23)
ACES (Academic Career and Employability Skills)
· Developed in Minnesota’s Adult Basic Education system by state and local adult education practitioners and specialists in collaboration with Hamline University
College and Career Readiness Standards (CCRS)
· Based on the Common Core State Standards
EFF (Equipped for the Future)
· Lifelong learning
Minnesota K-12 graduation requirements and standards
National Reporting System (NRS) – current ABE accountability requirements
North Star Digital Literacy Standards
Other states’ adult diploma standards
Rochester Community and Technical College Standards
· Critical thinking
· Personal and professional responsibility
· Civic engagement
· Global awareness and diversity
· Aesthetic response
Additional skills to consider
· Meta cognition
· Learning styles
· Study skills/habits of mind/success
· How to apply knowledge i.e.: applied math
· Family literacy (navigating resources)
· Financial literacy